Milwaukee Scenic Alternate Trail
About the Trail
The 23 mile Milwaukee Scenic Alternate Trail starts at Pearson at the end of the Hiawatha and is so named because it does not travel on the original Milwaukee rail bed that is now an active vehicle road. The trail instead, travels along the safe old road down by the North Fork of the St. Joe River continuing to Avery where it switches sides of the main St. Joe River. This compact dirt route continues down to Marble Creek where is crosses the the paved road and becomes the Milwaukee Trail on the original rail bed. This is incredible compact dirt, alpine, signed route follows along the wild North Fork of the Saint Joe River on a flat road has beautiful unimproved camp sites and great fishing spots. After leaving the improved campsite the route climbs up and then descends into Avery where there are minor services.
Skill Level: Beginner/flat
Directions to the Trail
- Users may access the trail by going over Moon Pass on FS 456 until you turn right just past Loop Creek or if you are at the Pearson Trailhead turn right onto FS 456
- Cross Loop Creek Bridge and turn left and take the bridge over the North Fork.
- Follow the road until it ends at FS 50 turn right and go through Avery and cross over the Bridge that spans the main road on Siberts Old River Road headed downstream. The road rises and falls as it follows the river. You will pass the Saint Joe Ranger Station which you may access over a bridge.
- Where Silberts Road ends at Avery Road (FS 50) you may cross back over to rejoin the original Milwaukee rail bed on the left or you may continue on Avery Road past the Marble Creek Interpretive Center and take the second bridge to the other side the river to follow the original rail bed.
Trail is open
Purchase the digital GPS file(s) for this trail
This digital product includes an Avenza Map of this trail. You can use the Avenza Map on your smart-phone while offline to track your progress and annotate your trip. This download also includes GPS data files for use in other handheld/portable GPS. (ESRI Shapefiles, GPX, GeoJSON, KML)
Milwaukee Scenic Alternate Trail Digital Trail
This digital product includes an Avenza Map PDF of this trail. You can use the Avenza Map PDF on your smart-phone while offline to track your progress and annotate your trip. This download also includes a ZIP file containing GPS data files for use in other handheld/portable GPS applications such as Google Maps (KML), Garmin (GPX) or other GIS Software. (Shapefiles, GeoJSON)
File size: 3.0 MB zip file
Trail maps include:
- Milwaukee Scenic Alternate Trail
Get your Avenza Map App here:
off the Milwaukee Scenic Alternate Trail